The Carmel Clay Public Library hosts a tax service for elderly and low income patrons. Sponsored by AARP, the free service is available each Wednesday and Friday from February 1 through April 11 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The service will also be available each Saturday in February from 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
All sessions except March 7 and March 14 will held in the Program Room. Those sessions will be held in the Children's Storytime Room. The counseling and assistance operates on a first come, first served basis. Appointments are not taken.
Two types of returns will not be processed: any return with expenses from self-employment in excess of $5000 and any return with rental income.
Please bring the following with you in order to receive assistance:
- Copy of last year's tax return(s), or if you don't have that, a copy of your social security card
- W-2 forms for each employer
- Unemployment compensation statements
- All 1099 forms showing interest and/or dividends and documentation showing original purchase price of sold assets
- 1099-misc. showing any miscellaneous income
- 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity
- Tabulated total of cash income if self employed
- All forms indicating federal and state income tax paid
- Dependent care provided information (name, employer ID, Social Security number)
- Names and Social Security numbers for all dependents
- Amount of Real Estate Taxes paid in 2013
If you have any further questions please stop by the Reference Desk on the 2nd floor of the library or call 844-3362.
Click here to view more information about the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide service.