Do it Yourself Book Club
Will anyone take on Jake Semple? Jake Semple is
notorious. Rumor has it he burned down his old
school and got kicked out of every school in his
home state. Only one place will take him now, and
that's a home school run by the Applewhites, a
chaotic and hilarious family of artists. The only
one who doesn't fit the Applewhite mold is E.D. --
a smart, sensible girl who immediately clashes
with the unruly Jake. Jake thinks surviving this
one will be a breeze . . . but is he really as
tough or as bad as he seems?
Surviving the Applewhites
by Stephanie S. Tolan
Jake is misunderstood, E.D. is smart but fast-
tempered, Lucille is the optimist, Cordelia is
the free spirit, Winston is loyal and accepting
and Destiny is inquisitive. Which Character are
you most like?
Why don't E.D. and Jake get a long at first?
Who fits in with the Applewhites more, Jake or
Why does Destiny look up to Jake so much?
Is Jake glad he did not go to Juvy?
Who does Jake live with after his parents get
thrown in jail?
What play does Jake get cast in?
What made the play a success?
Why does Jake shave his head and take out his
Did you like the ending of the book? What would
change about it?
Surviving the Applewhites won the Newberry
Honor. Do you think it should have?
Do you think Jake is a good or bad person?
How did others judge Jake? Were their assumptions
Have you ever been misjudged? How did you handle
Do you think people can really change?
What is special about E.D? Jake?
How would you describe the Applewhites?
How was the Applewhite school different from
those Jake had been to? Would you want to go to
Would you recommend this book? To whom?
Host a Sound of Music Sing-a-Long
You will need:
- Some friends (tell them to wear costumes!)
- The video/dvd of "The Sound of Music"
- To get in the mood: Glühwein, Bratwurst,
Apfelstrudels, Sachertorte... In short, Austrian
food. Or just snacks and soft drinks, if you like
- A flashlight
- A card with Maria on one side,
write "Flibbertigibbet" on the backside of that
- A card with on one side a question mark and
on the other side a "Will o' the Whisp" (which is
some kind of ghost thing on the official cards)
- A card which is your invitation card to the
ball, with the text: "Captain von Trapp and the
Baroness request the pleasure of your company
at 'The Captain's Ball'. RSVP or if you're coming
let him know!"
- A little Edelweiss (plastic, cardboard,
- A whistle
- A piece of cloth
- Rice, if you don't mind a bit of a mess
- The printed lyrics (or learn them by heart!)
What to do:
- Sing along loud and clear with all the songs
- If you see Maria for the first time,
shout "Hi Julie!"
- Cheer whenever you see Maria after that
- When you see a mountain, spread your arms in
the air and shout "Oohh!! Mountains!!"
- If Maria hears the bells in the Abbey and
wants to run down the mountain, shout "Maria!
Your shawl!" and see how she turns to collect the
shawl before returning to the Abbey
- Call out "Amen" whenever you see a nun
- If the song "Maria" comes up, collect
your "Maria" and "Question Mark" cards! Put the
question mark in the air when they sing "How do
you solve..." and put Maria in the air
on "Maria"! Put the flibbertigibbet card in the
air when they sing that word, and the will o' the
whisp when that word is mentioned!
- Blow your whistle when the Captain blows his
whistle to call for his children
- Whenever you see Gretl, go "aawwww"
- Hiss when you see the Baroness or the nazis
- Bark when you see Rolf
- When Maria is clearly thinking how to solve
the big problem of the playclothes after "My
Favorite Things", just shout "Behind you, Maria!"
and see how she gets the brilliant idea to make
playclothes of the curtains.
- Wave the piece of cloth in the air when Maria
gets the idea to make playclothes for the
- There's a macarena like dance for Do-Re-Mi!!
Just follow the following easy steps.
Do. Put your hands on your head and move your
fingers so it looks like you have antlers.
Re. Make a grand movement with your arms, as if
you're swimming (this has to look like a ray of
light. Or something like that).
Mi. Point your finger to your chest.
Fa. Put the side of your hand on your forehand,
as if you're on a ship and you're the captain
looking at the horizon.
So. Make movements with your hands as if you're
La. Act as if you're an opera singer and stretch
Ti. Act as if you're pouring tea to a cup.
- Wave your Edelweiss in the air when the
Captain sings "Edelweiss".
- Wave with your invitation card when the
Baroness asks the Captain to throw a party for
- Do the "So Long, Farewell" dance along with
- Do a really big hiss and "boo" when the
Baroness gets Maria to leave the Von Trapps
- Cheer when Maria comes back to the Von Trapp
- Throw rice when Maria and the Captain marry
- Repeat the "Maria" card thing when you hear
the song again during the wedding
- "Boo" when Maria sings "And you belong to
him..." to Liesl during the "Sixteen Going on
Seventeen - reprise" song. Or just sing "And he
belongs to you".
- During the concert, repeat the Do-Re-
Mi "dance" during "Do-Re-Mi" and wave your
Edelweiss again during "Edelweiss". Dance along
with "So Long, Farewell".
- Flash your flashlight when the nazis look for
the Von Trapps in the Abbey.
- Cheer when the Von Trapps escape through the
- Also, shout things to help the Von Trapps get
through the story to the screen!
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 10 medium apples
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups of ground biscuits sauteed in butter
- 4 tablespoons of shredded hazelnuts
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon
- Mix all the ingredients for the dough
- Make a ball and let it rest for 45 minutes at
about 81 degrees Farenheit (warm room
- Roll out the dough on a cloth with flour. The
pastry should be very thin.
- Spread the stuffing over the dough. Lift the
cloth up on one side and roll the strudel
- Brush the strudel with the egg and bake it
for 40 minutes at 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Serve with a vanilla sauce or vanilla ice