Travel the World…READ!
If you are going into grades 6-12, you get a lot of choices in this year's Young Adult Summer Reading Program at the Carmel Clay Public Library.
We don't want to make life more complicated. We do want to acknowledge that everyone has his or her own needs and preferences. Setting your own goals, planning your own reading, tracking your own progress…learning to do all of these things is part of growing up. A very enjoyable part!
So…pretend you're going on a trip that will last the whole summer. Unlike the story in Around the World in 80 Days, by Jules Verne, it's not a race.
Your mode of "travel" is reading. Your "destinations" are your reading goals (see below). Your way of counting your reading is your "travel package." Your "souvenirs" are the prizes provided by the Friends of the Carmel Clay Public Library. You can meet intriguing people, visit fascinating locales, and have extraordinary adventures through the books you select to read, so be sure to select books that interest you.
Choose ONE of the following Travel Packages:
Road Trip - For people that like to keep track of their reading by counting pages.
- 1st destination: 200 pages
- 2nd destination: 500 pages
- 3rd destination: 1000 pages
- 1st destination: 5 days
- 2nd destination: 30 days
- 3rd destination: 55 days
- 1st destination: 1 book
- 2nd destination: 3 books
- 3rd destination: 6 books
- 1st destination: 4 hours
- 2nd destination: 8 hours
- 3rd destination: 16 hours
- 1st destination: 60,000 words
- 2nd destination: 120,000 words
- 3rd destination: 240,000 words
If none of these packages works for you, talk to one of the YA staff about other options. You do have to choose one package and stick with it for the summer. You'll have the chance to try another way another summer. By the way, by "reading" we mean reading print books, reading e-Books, listening to audiobooks, etc.
No matter which travel package you choose, here's what you'll get:
- Reach your 1st destination, choose one prize from the display behind the YA desk at the library.
- Reach your 2nd destination, receive a raffle ticket to put in the raffle can of your choice behind the YA desk at the library.
- Reach your 3rd destination, select a free book to keep from the Book Vault in the YA office.