Internet Use Policy
It is the policy of the Carmel Clay Public Library (CCPL) to make Internet resources available to its patrons, along with collections of print, non-print, and electronic resources. The addition of Internet resources provides access to information beyond that contained in the Library's collections.
Youth through 8th grade are to use Internet workstations in the Children's & Youth Technology Room or near the Children's & Youth Reference Desk. High school students must present a photo ID (e.g., school ID, driver's learning permit, driver's license) to use 2nd floor Internet workstations in the Adult Technology Room, in Reference Services, or in Young Adult Services. Youth of any age may use the 2nd floor Internet workstations if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
By accessing the Library's Internet, the user agrees to the following acceptable use policy:
I agree to use library computers for lawful purposes in a responsible manner, consistent with the educational, informational, and recreational purposes for which they are provided, and to follow all rules concerning limited computer time.
I will not use the Internet for any purpose prohibited by Indiana or federal law; misrepresent myself by access code, password, or signature; alter hardware or software, nor make copies of copyrighted or licensed software or data unless such use is authorized.
I understand that the Library does not monitor and has no control over materials obtained on the Internet, and cannot be held responsible for Internet content. CCPL cannot control access to online content or protect patrons from online content they may find offensive.
I understand that the Library is compliant with the Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA) and has technology protection measures (TPM or "filters") on its computers, designed to protect against access to visual depictions that may reasonably be construed as 1) obscene 2) child pornography or 3) harmful to minors.
I will not send, receive, or display sexually explicit materials or materials deemed harmful to minors. I also agree to use appropriate discretion when viewing materials and will refrain from displaying material on a terminal when so requested by library staff.
I understand and accept the restrictions placed on youth described above in the Internet Use Policy. I also understand that parents and guardians of minors have both the right and the responsibility for their children's use of the Internet workstations at the Library to:
- Assure their children's safety and security when using electronic mail, chat rooms, and other forms of electronic communications;
- Protect against unauthorized access, including "hacking" and other unlawful activities by their children;
- Protect against unauthorized disclosure, use, and dissemination of personal identification information regarding minors; and
- Restrict their children's access to Internet sites that are harmful to minors.
- I waive my right to any claim against the Carmel Clay Public Library, its employees, trustees, officers, and agents arising from use of the Internet.
- I understand that failure to comply with this agreement may result in loss of computer privileges or banishment from CCPL.
The policy was adopted October, 2011.