Library Standards of Conduct
The Carmel Clay Public Library is a dynamic civic resource that enhances the quality of life of the Carmel Clay community by providing for the educational, informational, and recreational needs of all its citizens.
To effectively serve all library patrons, the Library Board of Trustees has established the following standards of conduct to maintain a safe and pleasant environment conducive to fulfilling our mission.
- Food and beverage consumption is allowed in the library. Consult current guidelines for limits.
- All children must be supervised while on library property and in the library building. Children under 11 must have a responsible caregiver age 16 or older on the premises, and children 5 or under must be accompanied at all times.
- Any activity which interferes with the rights of other patrons to use the library, which endangers patrons or staff, or
could result in damage to library property or materials, is unacceptable. Inappropriate behavior includes but is not limited to:
- abuse or vandalism of library property
- abusive, offensive or obscene language
- bringing in animals other than guide dogs and other assistive animals
- carrying weapons of any kind, except by law enforcement officers or as authorized by law (i.e., a permit is required to carry a gun)
- fighting, running or horseplay
- harassment of any kind
- illegal activity of any kind
- loud conversation which is disturbing to others
- obstruction of aisles or doorways
- possession of alcohol or illegal drugs
- sexual misconduct
- solicitation of patrons or staff
- unauthorized distribution or posting of flyers or leaflets
- violation of the library's Internet Policy
- Shirt, shoes and appropriate clothing are required for all patrons, including children, while in the library building.
- The use of cellular or portable telephones is not permitted in the quiet study room, the technology room, or other designated quiet areas, or during any library program.
- The use of radios, CD players, or other listening devices without personal earphones is restricted to designated areas such as listening rooms in the Audiovisual Department.
- All motorized vehicles, including motorcycles, must be parked in designated parking areas.
- The recreational use of bicycles, roller skates/blades, skateboards or scooters on library property is prohibited. They may be used as transportation to the library only and are not permitted inside the building.
The library reserves the right to expel and/or restrict the library privileges of anyone who violates these standards of conduct. Unlawful activities will be reported to the police.